This project is one of a suite of thirteen houses at RMC Duntroon which PLA have restored over the past ten years. Duntroon was the estate of the Robert Campbell family, established in 1825. It was acquired in 1911 by the Commonwealth for use as the Royal Military College whereupon existing structures were converted and new ones constructed for use as officer’s residences. The houses are part of a conservation area on the Commonwealth Heritage List.
No 3 Plant Road is a hybrid building including the original 1830s groundkeeper’s lodge and 1911 weatherboard additions in Edwardian style. The project involved conservation and restoration of significant heritage fabric including horsehair plaster, sandstone walling, decorative plaster ceilings, fireplaces and interior trims; the re-fitting of the kitchen and bathrooms to suit modern functional requirements whilst complementing the original design character; and the addition of a master bedroom suite as a weatherboard pavilion which sits comfortably beside the earlier parts of the building. New internal and external paintwork uses heritage colour schemes.